Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pic of the Day


     Fern – Sarett Nature Center; Benton Harbor, Michigan:  It was at Sarett Nature Center some 34 years ago that I honed by skills as a nature photographer while attending Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan.  I spent many hours walking the numerous trails and boardwalks photographing everything I could get my camera on.  Since those days of long ago I have moved far from Sarett; yet, I return as often as I can. Over the last three years I have made two trips to the preserve and had the opportunity to walk its trails to photograph its abundance of birds and lush flora.
     This image was photographed along a trail that skirts Sarett’s immense wetlands.  Ferns are abundant, lush and full within the preserve, and this fern beckoned to be photographed.  The soft, subdued light under the forest canopy was perfect for the shot, but it also meant a tripod would be essential.  I positioned the camera and tripod over the select area and used the zoom lens to compose the image.
     Though I shot the original image in color, and the subtle green values created the image I had envisioned, I saw more.  Using photoshop I dropped the color from the image and adjusted the tonality using the curves settings.  Coming from a black and white film and print background I found the black and white conversion much more appealing.
     I have posted both the color and, black and white image for you to compare.  Which to you prefer?


Nikon D3, Nikkor 24-85mm zoom set to 66mm focal length,  Gitzo Tripod with Arca Swiss monoball head,   1/4 second @ f14

No comments:

Post a Comment