Friday, January 31, 2014

Pic of the Day

Blue-winged Teal, Anas discors; Mrazek Pond, Everglades National Park

     I headed toward Florida the morning after the big ice and snowstorm hit the south on the evening of January 28 and early morning the 29th.  I thought that I could find a way around Atlanta with no problem.  I was wrong!  All the interstate highways were clogged with abandoned and wrecked vehicles, and every secondary road had a jack-knifed trailer that made the road impossible to pass. The way back west and north became congested and it was impossible to head backhome or go forward to my destination. I was about to give up, after six hours of trying to get through Atlanta when I-285 and I-75 began to show movement (indicated on my ipad).  I made a b-line for I-285, and once I got there I found very little traffic.  Six hours earlier I-285 had been at a stand still.  Once on I-285, I found the ice was mostly melted and travel was easy, though I did have to drive around many vehicles that had been abandoned in the middle of the interstate.  After I got on I-75 the road was clear and I had no trouble heading south.  I arrived in Central Florida late on the 29th, and was to begin shooting on the 30th.  However, rain and cold weather made finding birds and shooting difficult.  This morning I headed further south to Everglades National Park where the sun was warm and bright.  I found this this beautiful Blue-winged Teal on Mrazek Pond bathed in evening light and just waiting to be photographed.



Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/500sec. @ f7.1

Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/500sec. @ f7.1

No comments:

Post a Comment