Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pic of the Day

     Caribou Mountain, Idaho:  As I drove north to Yellowstone after leaving the Bear River Refuge I took a route that led through the high valley of Gray’s Lake National Wildlife Refuge.  The Refuge is the nesting grounds of about 1,200 Sandhill Cranes and the rare Trumpeter Swan.  Unfortunately I did not have time to visit the refuge, but I did take the time to shoot this scenic of Caribou Mountain which is just one of the majestic views from Gray’s Lake. 
     Caribou Mountain is a massive chunk of granite that rises 9,803 feet above sea level and is famous for its placer gold deposits that were discovered in 1874.  Though gold is no longer mined at Caribou Mountain,individuals can still pan for gold in the mountains streams.  But, that is not the reason I want to return to Gray’s Lake.  For me it is the cranes and swans, they are much more valuable.


Nikon D3, Nikkor 24-85mm zoom set to 48mm, 1/1,250 second @ f10, ISO 200

No comments:

Post a Comment