Saturday, April 2, 2011

Pic of the Day

   American Oystercatcher – Fort Desoto Park; Saint Petersburg, Florida:  There were very few birds at Fort Desoto Park when I arrived, but those that were feeding in the estuary made good subjects for my camera.  While I was photographing a winter plumed Black-bellied Plover a pair of American Oystercatchers flew-in and landed on the mudflats very close to me.  The female ran to quickly to the grassy edge of the estuary while the male stood his ground on the mud flats.  As I shot a few frames the male took off in a quick sprint toward the female, allowing me to shoot this image as the Oystercatcher ran at full gallop.  My favorite part of the image is the movement, and the water kicked up as the bird runs across the flats.

Nikon D300, Nikkor 500mm f4, Digital Capture ISO 200,  Exposure 1/1,250@ f6.3

No comments:

Post a Comment