Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pic of the Day

   Great Egret among Snowies –Merritt Island NWR, Florida:  I was driving through what looked to be a lifeless Merritt Island NWR, then I saw this scene above.  Water in the marsh was extremely low, and was restricted to small pools scattered along the wildlife drive.  Such pools become havens for fish as water in the marsh shrinks. Birds quickly become aware of the concentrations and descend on the pools with a vengeance.
   As soon as I saw the scene I brought my van parallel to the pond to access the little feeding frenzy that was taking place.  The birds were so intent on their feeding activity they paid me little notice.  I was immediately struck by the graphic nature of the scene, “S” curved necks, and all white birds.  But, It was not so much the birds themselves that made the image, as it was their reflections.  As I shot photos of the egrets dancing around their fishing hole I was reminded again that nature is always full of surprises, and I loved this surprise.


Nikon D300, Nikkor 24-85mm Zoom, Digital Capture ISO 200, 125 Sec. @ f8

No comments:

Post a Comment