Saturday, March 11, 2017

Pic of the Day

Sanderling, Calidris alba: Sanibel Island Causeway; Fort Myers, Florida
     I found a small flock of sanderlings running along the shell strewn beaches of the Sanibel Island Causeway a few days ago.  The sun was setting, and the birds were bathed with its warm light.  As I lay on the beach the sanderling ran past my camera so close that I could not focus on the them.  Finally a few stopped a dozen or so feet in front of me and began to preen.  The sun was sinking fast, but I was able to catch a few frames before it disappeared.  This particular bird struck an awesome pose as it zipped the feather barbels together on a primary.  The day had been pretty slow as far as photographing birds, but this little sanderling made everything perfect.  

Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f/4, 1/1250 second @ f/8

No comments:

Post a Comment