Sunday, February 9, 2014

Pic of the Day

Florida Scrub Jay, Aphelocoma coerulescens;  Merritt Island NWR, Florida
     I love photographing scrub jays, and the birds at Merritt Island are some of the best.  As soon as my friend Tim Gallagher and I walked into their habitat, scrub jays flew in and landed atop our heads looking for a handout.  It appears that these partiuclar birds are fed on a regular basis by birders.  This jay alighted in nearby scrub hoping we would have something for it.  Fortunately it stayed on this branch long enough for me to get a shot.
Tim Gallagher and Florida Scrub Jay

This is one of the jays that alighted on our heads awaiting a handout.  Both Tim and I had a great time shooting these birds......once they stopped landing on us!

Top Image:  Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/800 second @ f7.1

No comments:

Post a Comment