Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pic of the Day

Herring Smokehouse


Cans of Sardines - The last can of Sardines
 packaged at Seal Cove is displayed.


     Sardine Museum and Herring Hall of Fame:  While driving south to Seal Cove on Grand Manan Island this summer I “saw a sign, “Sardine Museum and Herring Hall of Fame.”  My first thought……Herring Hall of Fame?”  Well, indeed!  At Seal Cove I saw directions to the Sardine Museum and Herring Hall of Fame.  With a name like that I had to stop.  I made the turn, and pulled into a open spot beside a run downed building. 
     I wasn’t really sure if I was at the museum or not, but was soon greeted by a young woman who began to tell me about the museum.  Herring fishing and sardine canning was part of the Seal Cove economy until the early 1990.  At that time the herring fishing came to halt, and thus the end of sardine canning in Seal Cove. 
     In the late 90’s the buildings and were bought by Michael Zimmer from New York City.  Zimmer founded the museum to preserve this part of Grand Manan’s history.  I found the museum to be quite fascinating.  The artifacts used in the sardine canning process that had been arranged by Zimmer made for an interesting photo opportunity.
     By the way, at its height the Seal Cove sardine factory produced a million 10 and 18 pound boxes a year.   Eighty percent of the world's smoked herring was produced at Seal Cove.  To learn more about the museum follow this link:

http://www.redgage.com/blogs/bikermom/a-man-a-can-a-plan.html

No comments:

Post a Comment