Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pic of the Day

Crescent Moon, Shadow side 1/2 second,  f4
Crescent Moon 1/400th second,  f4.5
   Crescent Moon – January 6, 2011:  As I drove north out of Florida a brilliant crescent moon hung above the western horizon.  The sky was a deep azure blue and quickly fading to black.  The shadow side of the moon, lit by light reflecting from Earth was quite bright in the cold, crisp winter air.  The conditions were perfect for photography. 
   As I drove across the Florida/Georgia state line I pulled into the Georgia welcome station, set-up my camera and lens on a tripod and began shooting.  Knowing the exposure for the sunlit side of the moon is 1/125th of a second at f8, I set an equivalent exposure of 1/400th of a second at f4.5. The faster shutter speed helped reduce blurriness caused by camera/lens vibration. 
   After shooting for the detail in the crescent moon, I took another image exposing for the shadow side of the moon.   I did a number of exposure variations and achieved a reasonably sharp image of the shadow side at 1/2 second at f4.  The sunlit crescent is highly overexposed but craters and mares are readily visible on the shadow side.

Nikon D300, Nikkor 500mm f4

No comments:

Post a Comment