Sunday, May 16, 2010

Pic of the Day

     Harbor Seal – Pacific Coast Highway, California: “You must drive the Pacific Coast Highway, it’s the most beautiful stretch of highway in America,” said a friend. I did drive the Pacific Coast Highway, but I cannot vouch that it is the most beautiful stretch of highway in America. The reason, I was there in June when the cold Pacific air blows ashore and mixes with the warm overland air, resulting in fog, lots of dense fog. The locals call it “June Gloom”. I saw very little of the scenery but was surprised as I came out of the hills and found Harbor Seals along the coast. This seal was among a group of about a dozen animals loafing along the shoreline. The seals were spending their time sleeping, and occasionally looking at me as I shot images. As I tripped the shutter this seal looked my way giving me the opportunity for this environmental portrait. The occasion to photograph Harbor Seals made the drive down the highway worth the trip. I plan to return to the Pacific Coast Highway to see, “the most beautiful stretch of highway in America” some day, but not during June Gloom.

Nikon D300, Nikkor 500mm, f4

No comments:

Post a Comment