Saturday, July 23, 2016

Pic of the Day

Western Grebe, Aechmophorus occidentalis:  Bear River National Wildlife Refuge, Utah
     This photo was taken on my last day at the Bear River National Wildlife Refuge near Brigham, Utah.  I had driven past the location of the nest numerous times, but never noticed it.   On my last drive through I actually drove past the nest before my brain registered that I had just seen a grebe on a nest.   I quickly backed up and sure enough, a Western Grebe  was on a nest.  I quickly grabbed my camera and camouflage cover and slipped down the edge of the road to photograph the grebe.  I captured this image as the grebe climbed onto the nest.  Note the feathers underneath the grebe opening to expose the brood patch as she sits on the eggs.

Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f/4, 1/160 second @ f8

No comments:

Post a Comment