Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Pic of the Day

Pygmy Nuthatch: Sitta pygmaea,
Moraine Valley, Rocky Mountain National Park
     Four years ago I found the nest of a Pygmy Nuthatch in a broken Ponderosa Pine snag near the entrance to the Moraine Valley campground at Rocky Mountain NP.  The nest is still active and I had the opportunity to photograph the birds again on June 11.  As in the past, these little birds objected to my presence, but once I sat down on a nearby rock they seemed to forget about me and carried on with daily feeding activity.  Both the male and female were busily bringing morsels of insects and larvae to the nestlings.  Like all nuthatches they were bundles of energy exploring every nook and cranny in their territory.  Many times, they alighted on this perch near me.  I had positioned myself so the meadow grasses in the background would be out of focus to form a clean, aesthetic background. 

I am constantly amazed at the joy that birds bring to my life.   I am never any happier, than when I am looking through my camera photographing birds.  

On second thought, I’m pretty happy when I’m holding my grandkids also.
Photo by Whitney Robison


Pygmy Nuthatch:  Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f/4, 1/800 second @ f/10

No comments:

Post a Comment