Monday, March 9, 2015

Pic of the Day

Green Heron, Butorides virescens:  Anhinga Trail, Everglades National Park
     Last week I arrived at Anhinga Trail at sunrise looking for any birds I could find to photograph.  I expected to find the trail overrun with birds, but that was not the case.  In fact there were few birds, but the few I found were very cooperative.  I spotted this Green Heron shortly after the sun breached the horizon perched atop a rock looking for fish in the slough. 
     The setting was great, the lighting was great, but the heron was turned with its tail toward the good light, not what I wanted to photograph.  I set up hoping the bird would turn, and within seconds it turned profile to the camera and then raised the hallux (1st digit) on its left foot.  That slight gesture heighted the potential energy and interest of the pose.  I shot a burst of images, but only one captured the raised hallux, but one was all that was needed.  I just love it when everything comes together.

Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f4,  1/1250 sec. @ f8, ISO 640

No comments:

Post a Comment