Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Pic of the Day



Upland Sandpiper, Bartramia longicauda: Tallgrass Prairie Preserve; Pawhuska, Oklahoma
     A few years ago I took a short trip to the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve near Pawhuska, Oklahoma to photograph birds and wildflowers.  The Upland Sandpiper  is a breeding bird of the tallgrass prairie.   Spending its winters in Argentina this sandpiper migrate to the North American prairies in spring to nest.  Like many shorebirds the Upland Sandpiper ardently defends its nesting territory, and this bird was doing just that.  As I was driving along the back roads near Pawhuska, I found this bird perched on a fence post about seventy feet from the road.  As I got out of my van, the sandpiper flew from the post and landed on the ground faking a wing injury in an attempt to lure me from its nearby nest.  Knowing the ploy, I took a few more steps in the direction from where the sandpiper had flown.  As expected, the sandpiper promptly returned to its perched and tried to lure me away giving me the opportunity to shoot this image.  The Upland Sandpiper was formerly known as the Upland Plover.
Nikon D300, Nikkor 500mm f4, Digital Capture ISO 200   

No comments:

Post a Comment