Saturday, February 21, 2015

Pic of the Day


Surf Scoter, Melanitta perspicillata; Bolsa Chica Wetlands; Hunting Beach, California
     While Attending the North American Nature Photography meeting in San Diego this week a friend and I headed out to Bolsa Chica Wetlands to do a little photography.  While the light was not a as I would have preferred, the birds were incredible.  The last Surf Scoter I saw was in Haines, Alaska way back in 1981.  I was so excited to see this and other Surf Scoters at Bolsa Chica. 

     Surf Scoters are just beautiful.  I find black-and-white birds gorgeous anyway, but add a touch of color, and these beauties really shine!  On top of, just a looking good, the scoters were busy feeding on muscles, providing a great photo opp.

Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/1600second @ f7.1

No comments:

Post a Comment