Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pic of the Day

   
Buff-bellied Hummingbird, Amazilia yucatanesnsis:  
Edinburg Scenic Wetlands; Edinburg, Texas

     The Buff-bellied Hummingbird is a Mexican species that crosses north of the Rio Grande River, and is fairly common on the U.S. side of the Rio Grande Valley.  I saw my first Buff-bellied Hummingbird last Friday at Quinta Mazatlan Birding Center in downtown McAllen.

     This Buff-bellied was photographed at Edinburg Scenic Wetlands in Edinburg, Texas.  Edinburg is just north of McAllen.  The morning was quite cold for the Rio Grande Valley.  An arctic front that paralyzed half of the lower forty-eight last week had extended its grip all the way to the Mexican border.  I saw this Buff-bellied, and another feeding, then both descended into the plant foliage where it was, no doubt, warmer.
     The Edinburg Scenic Wetlands is a forty-acre natural area that is traversed by winding paths with waterside observation platforms.  Green kingfishers are often seen in the wetlands, though I did not see one the day I was there.  Fortunately I did see the Green Kingfisher on Sunday morning when I visited Estero Llano Grande in Weslaco, Texas. 
       To learn more about birding at Edinburg Scenic wetlands click this link:  www.edinburgwbc.org

Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/800 second @ f6.3

No comments:

Post a Comment