Monday, March 11, 2013

Pic of the Day


Palm Warbler, Dendroica palmarum: Viera Wetland, Florida
     While I was at the Viera Wetlands last week I was reminded that spring migration is close at hand.  While driving around the berms of the wetlands I came upon this Palm Warbler.  Palm Warblers are winter residents of Florida, but this handsome fellow was already molting into his breeding plumage.
     In about a month Palm Warblers, along with another thirty warbler species will be winging through Alabama to their northern nesting grounds.  Each will be adorned in their splendid breeding plumage, looking the best that they will have all year.  By mid May, many will congregate on the south shore of Lake Erie to rest and refuel as they move northward.  I’m looking forward to a spring of warbler shooting and with this Palm, I’ve started a month early.

Nikon D800 in DX format, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/1,600 second @ f8, Window mounted lens, Van used as blind 

No comments:

Post a Comment