Friday, October 12, 2012

Pic of the Day



    Greater Roadrunner, Geococcyx californianus – Catalina State Park; Tucson, Arizona:  It’s hard to imagine that the roadrunner is of the same family as the Mangrove, Yellwo-billed and Black-billed Cuckoo, but it really is.  I have seen the roadrunner on many occasions chasing down lizards and striking with speed and accuracy of any top of the pyramid predator.  The roadrunner is a bird of prey, fleet of foot, that attacks on the run rather than the air.  Yet, when you hear the birds call it is no doubt the call of a cuckoo.
     While driving around Catalina State Park I found this bird and its mate running through the desert scrub searching for its next victim.  As they moved through the scrub they would occasional call to each other, perhaps a call to say, “I am here, where are you,” who really know, but they constantly called back and forth. 
     Getting a shot was difficult, because the birds were constantly on the move.  I moved with them, trying to get in the right place for the shot.  Finally after much effort I was in the right place to get an image I was pleased with.  Unfortunately I did not get the shot of a lizard in the roadrunners beak that I so desperately wanted............Maybe I’ll have better luck next year!

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/400sec. @ f5

No comments:

Post a Comment