Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pic of the Day



    Cardinal Flower, Lobelia cardinalis – Horse Cove, Alabama:  The cardinal flower is widespread throughout the United States from Maine to Minnesota, south to Florida and west to northern California.  I saw my first cardinal flower at Sarett Nature Center in Benton Harbor, Michigan, back in 1978.  When I saw the cardinal flower I thought it to be the most beautiful flower I had ever seen and it instantly became my favorite wildflower. 
     An endemic to North America it was introduced to Europe in the mid 1620’s, and the name, cardinal flower was in use by 1629.  Its name is attributed to the vesture of Roman Catholic Cardinals.
     I photographed this one in my backyard today, thirty-four years after seeing  my first cardinal flower in Michigan.  It is still just as beautiful and still remains my favorite wildflower.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 300 f2.8, 1/20 sec. @ f10

No comments:

Post a Comment