Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pick of the Day


     Osprey – Sanibel Island Causeway, Florida:  I had stopped along the causeway that leads to Sanibel Island to photograph shorebirds when I spotted this osprey had some distance away.  I turned my camera toward the bird and began tracking it in my viewfinder.  As the bird flew by it dipped into the water and snatched up a tassel of seaweed.  The photograph was taken in late winter when osprey begin their nesting activity.  This bird was gathering the seaweed to line its nest.  I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.  
     This is one of the first images I shot in digital format.  Though I was pleased with the image, the camera did not shoot enough frames per second for bird photography.  It was not until cameras were capable of shooting at least five frames per second that I fully adopted digital imaging for my bird photography.

Nikon D70, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/2000 second @ f10,  shot hand held on beanbag while panning with the bird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment