Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pic of the Day


    Harbor Seal – Machias Seal Island; Cutler Maine:  In earlier post I have shown photos of the seabirds taken on Machias Seal Island off the coast of Maine. On my last trip to Machias seal the captain took the boat by an adjacent rock where harbor and gray seals haul out.  The light was terrible and the seals were just lounging on the rocks.  They were not very interesting, however, regardless of the light and lack of activity among the seals I shot lots of photos.   As the boat skirted the island I found this harbor seal bobbing in the water just off the island.  As the boat passed, the seal turned its head toward me and looked straight at me.  The simplicity of the image and eye contact made the scene very appealing, providing a image I was happy to capture.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 300mm f2.8 VRIF, ISO 200, 1/3,200 @ f 4.5, Handheld

No comments:

Post a Comment