Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pic of the Day

     Chestnut-sided Warbler – Magee Marsh, Ohio:  On my third day at Magee Marsh the clouds had not lifted and the rain was steady most of the day.  Though light, the rain required that I make a rain cover for my camera and lens to continue shooting.  Thanks to dental floss and a plastic window shade from my van   I was able to put together the make shift rain cover and hit the marsh a shooting. 
     The northerly winds and rain kept the birds low but they were still difficult to shoot.  Slow shutter speeds and narrow depth-of-field made sharp images few and far between.  Only when the birds paused while foraging was it possible to get a sharp image.  This Chestnut-sided Warbler paused while searching for insects under the leaf cover.   During the pause I shot the image.
     To obtain an acceptable image size, I used a 300mm lens with a 1.4 extender with 30mm of extension tubes.  Extension tubes allow a lens to focus within its minimum focus distance, thus producing a larger image size.  This bird was less than 10 feet from me when I shot the photo. 

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 300mm f2.8 with 1.4 extender and 30mm of extension tubes, 1/100sec. @ f4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment