Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pic of the Day


Atlantic Puffin:  Perhaps my favorite image from the shoot. 

Atlantic Puffin



Atlantic Puffin


Atlantic Puffins – Machias Seal Island, ME: In the previous post I have written a little about Machias Seal Island, but the most fascinating thing about the island is its birds. The Puffin is the star of the Island. With its colorful bill it is often called the clown bird. One of the things I find so fascinating is its call. It sounds like a distant chainsaw to me. My first trip to the island back in the early 80’s was my first encounter with this species. As I stood in the blind shooting roll of film after roll of film I suddenly realized I was hearing a chainsaw off in the distance. I stop the rally of shooting for a moment and listen more intently to discover the soft rev of a two cycle engine was not from a chainsaw on the treeless island, but the puffins themselves. Others have told me that the birds voice sounds like a low growl, and others say a raspy purr. We all relate sounds to something familiar to what we have experienced.
Posted here are a few more of my favorite puffins from the shoot. I especially like the top image. The blurred wings and ruffled feathers give an idea of the constant activity that goes on in a puffin colony.
Nikon D3, Nikkor 500mm f4, Digital Capture, ISO 200


No comments:

Post a Comment