Saturday, May 1, 2010

Pic of the Day


     Bonneville Salt Flats – Wendover, Utah: Leaving Utah’s Bear River National Wildlife Refuge I headed west on I-80 toward Reno, where I would turn south for Yosemite National Park. I had driven I-80 many years ago at night, and at that time, did not fully realize the desolation along this stretch of interstate. About 50 miles from the Nevada-Utah line the highway turned due west. I drove straight for forty minutes across what looked like white sand. Near the border I saw a sign for the Bonneville Salt Flats, the location where land speed records were made, broken and remade. I had to stop!
The salt flats are quite amazing, in the direction this photo was taken, the flats runs 40 miles. I was fortunate to be there in the late afternoon hours when storm clouds were moving over the flats. I used a wide angle lens to give the feel of the wide expanse that I was experiencing. I composed the image with a pool of water on the salt pan in the foreground to give a greater feel of depth. Photographing the salt flats was a great experience, and a great opportunity to refill the salt shaker!!!!
Nikon D3, Nikkor 24-85mm zoom @ 24mm, Digital Capture @ ISO-200

No comments:

Post a Comment