Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pic of the Day

     Northern Cardinal – Gurley, Alabama: The Northern Cardinal is perhaps the most well known bird in North America. It was one of the first birds I learned to identify, and most likely the first bird you learned by name as well. While the cardinal is a common bird, it was a common bird, of which a good photo had eluded me. This Cardinal changed that.
This redbird was photographed from my bedroom window on a cloudy autumn day. The fall leaves provided the perfect modulated background, while the soft light saturated the colors. This opportunity occurred when I was photographing birds at a birdbath. In less than a few seconds the cardinal flew to a branch above the birdbath and briefly perched, giving me the opportunity to shoot two frames before flying off. The scenario was over almost as soon as it happened. After years of chasing cardinals I finally had an image that I was pleased with. Sometimes it is the common, everyday birds that present the greatest challenge.


Nikon F4, Nikkor 500mm f4, Kodachrome 64

No comments:

Post a Comment