Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pic of the Day

This Mountain Bluebird was photographed in Rocky Mountain National Park. After a night and morning of torrential rains the clouds began to break around two o'clock. As I left the Moraine Park campground I noticed a Mountain Bluebird perched on a fence along the campground drive. Pulling off the road, I watched the bluebird as it made its way around its territory stopping at specific spots to vocalize. I noticed the bluebird stopped at a particular post along side of the drive about every 15 minutes. Using my van as a blind I move the vehicle about 20 feet from the post and positioned it so the background would be out-of-focus leaves of Aspen trees more than 200 feet away in the background. While shooting, I also found the nest in an aspen tree on the edge of the meadow that the male was constantly defending. For more than an hour I watched and photographed the male and female fly to and from the nest, feed their young and defend territory, while having one of the best times of my trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment