Sunday, November 27, 2016

Pic of the Day

Tricolored Heron, Egretta tricolored:
Black Point Wildlife Drive; Merritt Island NWR near Titusville, Florida
     The Tricolored Heron is one of those birds whose name has changed many times over the last century or more.  When I started birding as a very young man, it was called the Louisiana Heron.  I like "Louisiana Heron" much better than Tricolored, but my favorite name was Audubon's Heron, and still like to use that name today.  I also think that this is one of most beautiful herons.  In its breeding plumage of blue, white, and purple it is a magnificent site to see, especially when displaying. 
     I shot this image at the same location that I shot the Snowy Egret that I posted on November 24.  The dark water made a perfect back ground for this fellow dressed in his finest winter plumes.

Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f/4, 1/2500 second @ f/9

No comments:

Post a Comment