Thursday, December 3, 2015

Pic of the Day

American Oystercatcher, Haematopus palliatus:  Fort Desoto State Park, Florida
     Without doubt, the American Oystercatcher is my favorite shorebird.  I love its bright orange bill, yellow eye, and pied plumage pattern.  I was fortunate last spring while shooting turnstones along the beach at Fort Desoto State Park to spot this American Oystercatcher further up the beach.
     As soon as I saw the bird, I moved in its direction with the greatest stealth I could muster.  Once I was about fifty feet away, I sat on the beach and let it come to me.  It was so busy probing the sand that it paid no attention to me.  I had a great time watching its feeding behavior, but this perfect portrait pose made my day.  I am really looking forward to getting back to Fort Desoto this coming spring. 

Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f/4, 1/2500 second @ f/9 

No comments:

Post a Comment