Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Pic of the Day

Clark's Grebe, Aechmophorus clarkii:  Bear River Bird Sanctuary near Brigham, Utah     
     On the morning I arrived at Bear River I found the refuge enshrouded with a light fog and a thin layer of clouds that diffused the morning light.  The water, clouds, and fog gave the overall scene a wash of gray.  Starting in photography more than 45 years ago shooting black and white, the monotone scene was so appealing I could not pass it up. 

     Bear River is known for its abundant population of Western and Clark’s Grebes, and they were everywhere the morning I arrived.  This bird, and most of the other grebes were floating on the lake sleeping with their heads tucked under a wing.  As I shot the serene, gray scene before me, this grebe burst into action.  As it rose from the water I began shooting images in rapid succession and captured its flapping and wing stretching frenzy.  Within a few seconds the action was over, but I was left with this prize of a foggy Bear River morning.

Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f/4, 1/1000 second @ f/8

No comments:

Post a Comment