Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pic of the Day

Red-headed Woodpecker, Melanerpes erythrocephalus:
Guntersville Dam Recreational Area near New Hope, Alabama
     What a beautiful bird is the Red-headed Woodpecker.  Its black and white body plumage and red head makes it one of my favorite woodpeckers.  The pair I have been photographing near Guntersville Dam is a breeding pair and in prime plumage right now.  I feel so fortunate to have found a pair that is so approachable and photogenic.
     This bird is perched on the trunk of a longleaf pine and the background is green shrubbery about two-hundred feet away, thus the pleasing out of focus background.  I just love when everything comes together to make a pleasing image.

Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f/4, 1/400 second @ f8

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful bird an colors.. Regards from Spain..

    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ana, thanks so much for the comment. I hope you visit the blog often. I try to post at least every couple of day. Do you have a blog or website?

    ReplyDelete