Monday, April 27, 2015

Pic of the Day

Sharp-tailed Grouse, Tympanuchus phasianellus: Bessey Ranger District
Nebraska National Forest and Grasslands near Halsey, Nebraska
     In late March I spent two days on a Sharp-tailed Grouse lek photographing the dance of these very animated birds.  The grouse arrived on the lek more than a half hour before the Sun climbed above the horizon.  In the pre-dawn light they danced their hearts out, with little hope of getting the images I wanted.  As the light increased I began shooting, but it was not until the first ray of light struck the bird and lit the golden grasses ablaze that the images began to come alive.  This is one of my favorite images as one of the birds slipped into the grass after a bout of dancing.
     To read about my experience on a Sharp-tailed Grouse lek and plan your visit, click on this link:

http://www.bobbyharrison.blogspot.com/search/label/Sharp-tailed%20Grouse

Then scroll down and start with "Sharp-tailed Grouse in Nebraska I" to start the story from the beginning.
Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f/4, 1/500 second @ f/7.1

No comments:

Post a Comment