Monday, November 17, 2014

Pic of the Day




Green Jay, Cyanocorax yncas;  Bentsen State Park; McAllen, Texas
     I spent the last three days in McAllen, Texas birding in the Rio Grande Valley; the number one birding destination in the USA.  There are thirty-nine species on the ABA (American Birding Association) check list that can only be found in the valley.  On my short, fast paced stint I saw at least a dozen or more of those specialty species.   Ten of those specialties were lifers that I saw.  The Green Jay is not only an exotic, but it is also the official bird of McAllen.  I shot this Green Jay at Bentsen State Park, just southeast of the center of town.  McAllen is a birder's paradise, and a "must," destination for any birder, or those who just love to watching birds.  
Follow this link to learn more about birding at Bentsen State Park: www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/bentsen-rio-grande-valley


Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/160 sec. @ f7.1

No comments:

Post a Comment