Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pic of the Day


American Avocet, Recurvirostra americana:  Bear River Bird Sanctuary; Brigham, Utah
     Nesting season for the American Avocet is in full swing at the Bear River Bird Sanctuary near Brigham, Utah.  I photographed this avocet on its nest at the refuge's entrance.  A colony of a dozen birds or so are incubating eggs, and squabbling over each of their small patches of territory.  Avocets build shallow nest and lay 3-4 greenish brown, irregularly spotted eggs. Chicks leave the nest within 24 hours of hatching.  Avocets and Stilts are elegant birds. I can photograph them for hours and never be bored.
  
Nikon D800, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/400 sec. @ f 7.1

1 comment:

  1. Bobby, your photos amaze me. I learn so much from them. I get to see these beautiful birds I will never see in person.

    ReplyDelete