Wednesday, January 30, 2013


     Mountain Bluebird, Sialia currucoides – Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado:  Going through my files I found this mountain bluebird that I shot on Moraine Park road.  The Moraine Valley is one of my favorite spots in Rocky Mountain NP.  I can always count on seeing mountain bluebirds, swallows, nuthatches and magpies along the road to the campground.  Hiking through the adjacent woodlands and meadows I found this bluebird and its mate gleaning insects from recently dead pines.
     This is one of many images I shot as the birds foraged.  What drew me to the image was the clean background, simplistic line of the branch and the complementary colors of the out of focus yellow flowers at the bottom of the frame, and the blue bird.  I took lots of images that morning and this one is among my favorites.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm, 1/250 @ f6.3

No comments:

Post a Comment