Monday, November 19, 2012

Pic of the Day



         Roseate Spoonbill, Ajaia ajaia -- Estero Lagoon; Fort Myers Beach, Florida: In March 2011, I happened upon a feeding frenzy of wadding birds at a huge tide pool adjacent to the Estero Lagoon on Fort Myers Beach.  The tide pool was teeming with birds, and among the dozen or so species was the roseate spoonbill.  The spoonbilsl and other birds move up and down the tide pool catching a fish with very dip of a bill into the water. 
     This image was shot as an adult spoonbill pulled a sheepshead from the water right in front of me.  I shot a series of five shots with the bird so close I could only frame its head and shoulders.  As the spoonbill clamped down on its catch, water squirted from the fish's mouth forming two perfectly formed symmetrical arcs of water droplets.  This was totally unexpected and added the perfect nuance to the image.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 300mm f2.8, 1/1,000 @ f4

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment Kelly. Glad you like the image. Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great moment to capture on camera! Those are always the best photos. I've always enjoyed the wildlife in Florida, so exotic, especially for those of us who aren't from the area. I personally love Palm Beach the most with their sweeping coastlines and beautiful views. The Palm Bay Hotel (www.palmbay-hotel.com) was affordable for all of us and even bigger then expected!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jillian, thanks for your comment. I love shooting in Florida, birds everywhere if you go at the right time of the year. But I must say, I do love the spoonbills! Bobby

    ReplyDelete