Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pic of the Day


Black Skimmer, Winter Plumage
     Black Skimmer, Rynchops nigerMerritt Island National Wildlife Refuge; Merritt Island, Florida:  I have always loved the Black Skimmer, perhaps because of its unusual bill.  The skimmers are quite unique as the length of their lower mandible is about 1/4 longer than its upper mandible, and is perfectly designed for how the skimmers catches its prey.
     I have spent many hours watching skimmer feed.  They are tactile feeders, and as their name implies they skim over the water with their lower mandible plowing a furrow through the water.  When the bill strikes an object the bill snaps shut.  If the object is its intended prey, a fish, the skimmer has captured its meal.
     On many occasions I have tried to photography skimmers in action, but have always found myself too far to get the shot I wanted.   This past March while crossing from Titusville onto Merritt Island, I saw a flock of black skimmers resting along the shoreline of the Indian River.  I pulled off the road hoping I might get a shot or two of the birds.
     No sooner had I pointed my camera at the resting birds, a sightseer walking his dog went right through the flock causing them to spring into the air.  The birds flew back and forth along the shoreline for about a minute before settling back to their resting spot. 
     During their sortie I captured a dozen shots of the skimmers in flight, and was surprised with this image.  While I am pleased with the flight shot, I still want that image of the skimmer plowing its bill through the water.  Maybe next season!

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 300mm f2.8, 1/640 sec. @ f10

No comments:

Post a Comment