Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pic of the Day

     
     Western Grebe with chick – Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge; Brigham, Utah:  When I arrived at Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge I was quite shocked.  I had called the week before and was informed that the water levels were not as high as last year at this same time.  I was expecting low water, but not what I found.  Last year held extremely high water, and the birds were everywhere, nesting right-up to the road.  This year the water is extremely low.  Areas that held nesting stilts and avocets last year are dried and cracked.  However, Impoundment 2 holds lots of water and lots of birds, so shooting is very good.  Also, birds are more advanced in nesting and age of young this year.  Last year I saw no fledgling grebes, but this year they are everywhere. 
     I shot this image of a western grebe chick hitching a ride on mom’s back this morning.  Birds are not as quite as close as I like, but with a little patience the birds will eventually come quite close.  I will work here another day or two and then head toward Nevada.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/1,600 second @ f6.3, ISO 400

No comments:

Post a Comment