Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pic of the Day


     Tree Swallow – Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge, Ohio:  Right next door to Magee Marsh is Ottawa NWR, and it was there that I found this handsome tree swallow.  This bird was shot at one of my favorite spots in Ottawa, a small bush about fifteen feet in front of a tree swallow house and it provides the perfect perches for the birds (click here for May 22, 2011 post), and always a bustle of activity.
     When I arrived this year the tree swallows had not started nesting, but were looking for sites.  This fellow had picked out my favorite box, but a pair of house sparrows had picked the same box.  There was an ensuing feud between the pairs of birds, and from my observation it looked as if the swallows were ahead.  
     Between the bouts of chasing the sparrows from the box the male alighted on this branch, starred directly into the lens to provide the captivating eye contact between the bird and viewer that I love so much.  The clean background didn't hurt either.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f4 VR with 1.4 extender, 1/200 sec. @ f7.1, lens on beanbag resting on auto door window base.

No comments:

Post a Comment