Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pic of the Day


     Cara-Cara – Virea Wetlands: Viera, Florida:  Prior to the last year and half I had seen very view Cara-Caras.  But, over the last year and half I have spent considerable time north of Lake Okeechobee in Florida’s prairie country where Cara-Caras are quite common.  This shot was made at the Viera Wetlands, which is a great place to see and photograph Cara-Caras, but you have to be there on the right day at the right time.  I’ve seen the birds there about one out of every three visits.  Also, I have never seen a Cara-Cara without a band on it's leg (legs) at the wetlands.
     Further south, north of lake Okeechobee, I have found lots of birds without bands.  Cara-Cara can often be found in this area along county and state roads perched on fence post and tree stubs.  Using your automobile as a blind can provide excellent opportunities. 

Nikon D300, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/250@f6.3

No comments:

Post a Comment