Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pic of the Day


     Ruddy Turnstone -- Captiva Island, Florida: When I arrived at the beach on Captiva Island I saw gulls, turnstones, and sanderlings feeding on various mollusk that had washed ashore during a storm the previous day.  I used a tripod ball head attached to Frisbee that allowed be to place the center of the lens about ten inches above the sand.  The angle gave me a great “shorebird's eye view” of what the birds were experiencing.  As this turnstone snatched a piece of meat from inside an opened mollusk I started panning and shooting as the bird raced across the sand.  Of the images I shot, I particularly liked this image which shows an out of focus gull in the background.   One reason I like it, is that it gives a perspective of what the turnstone sees. The other, is that the out of focus gull adds interest to the image.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f4,  1/640 second @ f13, ISO 200

No comments:

Post a Comment