Sunday, September 4, 2011

Pic of the Day


     Sea Nettle Jellyfish – Tennessee Aquarium; Chattanooga, TN:  My son has been living in Chattanooga for at least 5 years now and on every visit one of us would say.  Next time we’re (your) here, we’ll go to the aquarium.  Well, today we did.  The Tennessee Aquarium is excellent, and we had a great time!  I did take a few photos while there, mostly of the jellyfish. 
     All the jellyfish were mesmerizing, and fascinating to watch, especially this Sea Nettle Jellyfish.  To take the image I had to crank-up the ISO to 5000, then set the exposure compensation to –1 1/3 stop to compensate for the dark background.    I took dozens of images but this one had a nice flow with the tentacles and shape of the body.  Of course, the complementary colors of blue and yellow set against each other did not hurt either.  
     Had I used the technique of upping the ISO earlier in the day, I would have had some nice images of fish as well.  I will post some different jellyfish species over the next few days.


Nikon D7000, Nikkor 24-85mm zoom set to 24mm, handheld, ISO 5000, 1/160 sec. @ f 3.5, full frame image with no cropping

No comments:

Post a Comment