Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pic of the Day



     Black-billed Magpie – Moraine Campground; Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado:  I have many photos of Black-billed Magpie.  But, I was not happy with any of them.  While I was photographing wildflowers this Magpie flew to a nearby rock and landed.  I quickly gave up the flowers and began stalking the magpie.  I took photos at a distance just incase the bird flew, but it remained on the rocks and let me make a close approach.
     As I shot I became quite humored by the Magpies antics.  As I shot the Magpie would stretch its head under its body, and between its legs.  It appeared to be picking something from it feathers, perhaps parasites.  Whatever the reason, the behavior made for interesting photos.
     Oh, by the way, I am happy with these Magpie images.  Clear, unobstructed backgrounds and behavior always make the image more interesting.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f4 VRII, 1/160 sec. @ f8, Gitzo Tripod with Arca Swiss B2 ball head 

No comments:

Post a Comment