Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pic of the Day


     Atlantic Puffin – Machias Seal Island, Maine:  While I was able to get flight shots of Puffins and Razorbills on Les Iles au Perroquets, in the Mingan Archipelago, I had to travel to Machias Seal Island to get close-ups. 
    I tired to get to the island out of Cutler, Maine.  However,  the one boat that travels to Machias Seal was booked for the entire month of July.  Fortunately I was able to catch a ride from Grand Manan Island, in New Brunswick.  Unfortunately, I did not get to the island until 2:30 in the afternoon.  This time would not have been too bad if the typical weather of fog and clouds prevailed, but the day was perhaps the most  beautiful I had ever seen in the Gulf of Maine.  The sun was high, bright and hot.  The hot weather kept most of the birds off the rocks and in the water.
     Once in the blind I lucked out with finding a rock perch used by the puffins that provided a clean background and also provided an angle to the sun that that reduced harsh shadows.  While shooting I was discouraged with the light and fewer number of birds.  But, after viewing the images I was quite pleased with the results. 

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 300mm f2.8, 1/800sec. @ f7.1

No comments:

Post a Comment