Monday, July 25, 2011

Pic of the Day



     Yellow-headed Blackbird – Bear River National Wildlife Refuge; Brigham, Utah:  I searched and searched Bear River NWR for a Yellow-headed Blackbird to photograph.  Now, Yellow-headed Blackbirds were everywhere.  But all were quite shy, and every time I got close enough for the shot, they flew.  I wanted that close-up image of a Yellow-head blackbird with head held back, beak agape and singing its territorial song.
     It seemed that all the males were doing what I wanted, but I just could not get close enough.  I had worked all morning and had not got the shot I really wanted. 
     As I drove out of the refuge I traveled the 12 mile road between the refuge entrance and the headquarters building, again Yellow-headed blackbirds were plentiful.  Yet, every time I got close to the birds, they flew.  In the last quarter mile I saw this blackbird perched on a fence post singing its territorial call.  As so many times earlier that day, I slowly pulled my van within shooting distance.  This time the blackbird did not fly.  Just as I had envisioned the bird continued singing with head held back and beak agape.  Now, if I could just get this shot with the blackbird on a natural perch.  Until then, I’ll enjoy this image.  Hope you do as well.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f4 VRII,  1/320 sec. @ f6.3

No comments:

Post a Comment