Friday, June 17, 2011

Pic of the Day


     Clark's Grebe and Western Grebe -- Bear River NWR:  After the Bear River NWR was close I headed north to the Tetons and Yellowstone.  The Tetons were nice, but Yellowstone (like the Tetons) were having a late spring.  I was here a year ago and Yellowstone was green and filled with birds.  Not this year, Winter is holding on! After a day in the Teton's I got a call from the Refuge Manager at Bear River, he told me he was opening the refuge on Friday.  On Thursday evening I headed back to Bear River.
This morning I shot these two image of the Clark's and Western grebes.  Both of the birds are lifer's for me.  The first lifer I've had since the Ivory-billed Woodpecker in February 2004.
     I love the Bear River NWR, the shooting is great!  If you have never been to this refuge, you should.  Plan to be here in early to mid June.  The birds are nesting and the refuge is hopping!  Check back soon for more updates.

Look at the images closely.  Can you tell which is the Clarks and which is the Western?

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f4

2 comments:

  1. I only have an Eastern bird guidebook, but I think the top picture is the Western Grebe. couldn't find the clark's grebe picture. Great shots! (as usual)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps! I guessed wrong. the Western Grebe is the bottom one. See if you can see the difference between the 2 Grebes. there is a distinct small marking that is different.

    ReplyDelete