Sunday, June 5, 2011

Pic of the Day

     Greater Roadrunner – Catalina State Park; Tucson, Arizona:  Well, since I have had to return home due to family medical issues I thought I would post some images from my files.  Hopefully I’ll be back on the road around Thursday and shooting soon after that.
     This image of a Greater Roadrunner was photographed at Catalina State Park in Tucson, Arizona.  Roadrunners are fascinating birds.  When I see one, I think this is how a small Jurassic dinosaur might have looked.  They are members of the family Cuculidae, which include the cuckoos, roadrunners and anis.  The roadrunner is a large ground dwelling cuckoo that races around the desert and scrub seeking lizards, snakes and insects to devour.
     Using my van as a blind I followed the roadrunner as it searched for prey in the parks desert scrub.  After 30 minutes or so of hunting among the branchy willow the roadrunner walked into a grassy field and then into an open area allowing me to take a few unobstructed shots that showed off its blue and red feathered supercillium, long legs and thick, heavy bill.  The roadrunner really does look prehistoric!

Nikon D300, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/250sec. @ f7.1, handheld resting lens on pillow while shooting form the window of an Astro van.

No comments:

Post a Comment