Friday, May 20, 2011

Pic of the Day



     Blackpoll Warbler – Magee Marsh, Ohio:  During my first day at Magee Marsh I saw numerous Blackpoll Warblers.  In fact, the most I had ever seen in one day.  This Blackpoll was one of three males and two females I saw at one time while on the Magee Marsh boardwalk.  I was following this male Blackpoll with my 500mm lens as it bounded from limb to limb.  Eventually it moved to a limb and paused for a fraction of a second.  The view was unobstructed, and the auto-focus snapped the image into focus.  I got this one and only shot before the Blackpoll slipped back in the leaf cover. 
     The Blackpoll is a overland spring migrant along the eastern and central flyways, but during fall migration the Blackpoll strikes out over the open ocean as it heads south to its South American wintering ground.
     This was the first time I had the opportunity to photograph this beautifully patterned warbler.                                                                     

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f4, 1/160sec. @ f7.1

No comments:

Post a Comment