Monday, April 11, 2011

Pic of the Day


   Scrub Jay – Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge:  After my first morning of shooting the bird rookery at the Saint Augustine Alligator Farm I went south to Merritt Island.  I enjoyed shooting the Scrub Jays a month earlier and thought I would try them again.  I arrived at the Scrub Jay Ridge Trail about three o’clock in the afternoon.  I first headed south but found no jays, then north, but still no luck.  However, I did find lots of mosquitoes, and I have the bits to prove it!  After striking out I returned to my van to down load images from the memory cards of the mornings shoot.   After down loading the images I made another run along the Ridge Trail.  No sooner had I left the van I saw three Scrub Jays in the exact location I had photographed jays back in March. 
  As I walked down the trail I spotted this bird perched atop an old snag.  The jay was on a perch without distracting branches in the foreground or background.   I shot a dozen frames when then the bird jumped into flight.  I continued to shoot.  I could not believe my good fortune,  I had captured the jay with wings spread, and a catch light in the eye.  I just love it when everythngs comes together.  I can’t wait until the next opportunity to photograph Scrub Jays.

Both Photos:  Nikon D7000, Nikkor 500mm f4, Digital Capture ISO 200, 1/5,000 sec. @ f7.1

No comments:

Post a Comment