Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pic of the Day

   Snowy Egret – Alligator Farm; Saint Augustine, Florida:  Greetings all, This has certainly been the year of Florida for me.   I am here for the third time this year.  On Thursday I left for Saint Augustine to photograph egrets nesting at the Saint Augustine Alligator Farm.  The birds are very numerous. Great Egret nesting is well underway with chicks ranging in size from just hatched to about a week and half or more old.  I shot a number of images that I am very pleased with.  Snowy Egrets now have eggs and Tri-colored herons and Spoonbills are building nest.  Woodstokes should have chicks, but I have not been able to see in the nest.
   This Snowy egret was photographed after bring a small tree branch to its mate to add to the nest.  Snowy’s are quite beautiful in their nuptial plumage.  I will post more images of the nesting birds as time permits.  I have a few more days of shooting and then its back to the classroom.


Nikon D7000, Nikkor 300mm f2.8 VR, ISO400, 1/500 sec. @ f7.1

No comments:

Post a Comment