Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pic of the Day

  Green-backed Heron – Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands; Viera, Florida:  As I drove along the west side of a water impoundment at the Ritch Grissom wetlands in Viera, Florida I notice a photographer busy taking photos.  As I drove past I could see that she was taking photos of a Green-backed Heron.   The setting was very nice, but not wanting to disturb the photographer I drove on past about 300 feet and parked.  My plan was to back-up to the site when the photographer had finished and shoot the heron my self.  It was not long until I saw the photographer pack-up, get in her vehicle and leave.  But before I could get back to the spot, another photographer pulled-up and began to shoot.  Still I waited.  After five or ten minutes the second photographer left and I was able to back-up to the spot where the heron stood.  Much to my pleasant surprise the green-backed was still there, patiently waiting for a fish to swim by.
In slow motion I pulled all my gear together and slid down the road bank to the waters level and began to shoot.  The heron was motionless at it perched atop lily pads that were in various stages of flowering.  I shot a few photos as the bird lay in wait.  Like lighting it suddenly lunged forward and came up with a minnow.  Then it arose from its fishing spot, walked a few feet left, then right, and back left before settling in to a slightly different spot.  I photographed the heron from about fifteen minutes as it moved across the lily pads.  The heron was most patient with me, and my wait for the opportunity was well worth the time it took.  

Nikon D7000, Nikor 500mm f4, Digital Capture ISO 200, 1/1000 secon @ f 9

No comments:

Post a Comment